Message from Michael Ary, Director of Bands
This morning we wrapped up our summer band rehearsals. We rehearsed 106 hours since we started on July 23rd! Our students are off to a great start this season.
With school starting on Wednesday, there are some routine things your student needs to think about. They need to bring their water jug to school every day we have after school rehearsal. They need to wear marching band appropriate shoes to their band class ever day during marching season. They need to bring marching band rehearsal clothes every day we have after school rehearsal.
Now is also the time to talk with your students about their time-management skills and how to get their homework done during these busy times. As I’ve said before, they just need to establish a routine and stick with it. Please actively monitor your students’ grades through HAC. Most of the time when we find out a student is failing, it’s simply because they neglected to turn something in. If your student is having comprehension problems, they have several options – attending their teacher’s tutorials, attending another teacher’s tutorials in that same subject, and we have band students that can help tutor them, as well.
Director of Bands
Message from Shakira Luna, Band Booster President
Thanks to Holly Estes and all of the parents and students who made this year’s Faculty Breakfast a success! We appreciate the donations and the effort that was made of taking the time to come out in the early morning hours to make sure that our THS faculty and staff had a nice welcome back to school.
March-A-Thon is just a few days away! Please continue to turn in your pledge sheets and concert forms. The sooner we have them, the better we can plan our marching route and ensure that the students have appropriate snacks and water breaks along the way.
If you are a chaperone or have signed up to work security, please also sign up for the mandatory training on Thursday night, August 15th in the band hall at 7pm. There are still plenty of volunteer opportunities.
If your student ordered performance shorts and/or shirts and did not receive them on Money Day, those items will be delivered after rehearsal on Wednesday, August 14th so that all students have them for March-A-Thon. Only those items will be delivered this week. Everything else will be delivered after the community pep rally on August 21st. If a student already has those items, they DON’T need to stop by tomorrow. This delivery will be to provide shorts and shirts to those students who need them for March-A-Thon.
We still have a few committee chair/coordinator positions available for anyone who would like to step up to a greater level of involvement. Click here to see the updated 2019-20 JET Band Booster Board. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org you are interested or have questions!
- Project Popsicles
- Garage Sale
- Grocery Rebates
- Student Fundraising
- UIL/Region Band Volunteers
- Yard Signs
Band Activity Fee
Band Activity Fee payments are now being collected. Following the payment schedule, there are two ways to pay:
1. Place your check made out to JET Band Boosters into a sealed envelope, labeled “Student Activity Fee”, with your student’s name. Have your student place the envelope in the safe in the band hall.
2. Access your Charms account to pay via credit card. Go to www.jetband.org, click ‘Charms’ option;
- The user code will already be entered, then ‘Enter Charms’ to put in your password. The password will be your child’s ID unless you/your child personally changed the password on the account. Password resets will not be available until August.
- Click the red $ icon at top or the Wallet Icon on the bottom. Your Child’s Misc Financial Ledger will be visible
- Scroll down and there will be an option to “Make a Misc. Payment”.
All current payments that have been made towards the activity fee are shown as posted to your student’s account. The corresponding charge for the activity fee will be posted after school starts. Please email Treasurer@jetband.org with any questions.
March-A-Thon is a huge community event and our largest, most fun fundraiser of the year. Our goal this year is to raise $28,000. To reach that overall goal, each student has an individual goal to contribute a minimum of $50 each in pledges or sponsorships. There are a variety of options to choose from to get this done:
- Individual Pledges – Students may use the Individual Pledge Form to record donations in any amount from friends and family with the goal of total donations surpassing $50.
- Individual Concert Sponsorships – Students may sell a concert/performance package for the band or color guard which includes a performance along the March-A-Thon route
- Corporate Sponsorships – Students or parents may reach out to businesses or corporations that may sponsor the JET Band and receive special recognition which varies based on the level of sponsorship
- Water Bottle Sales– Students may choose to purchase 10 water bottles and sell them for $10 each. If this option is chosen, the set of 10 water bottles may be purchased at Money Day for $100. Each student choosing this option will receive credit for $50 in donations.
- Online Donations – Share the link jetband.org/donate far and wide on social media! Donors should specify the name of the student that they are supporting in the comments section so that the student receives credit for that donation toward their $50 requirement.
Students will be awarded prizes based on top 10 donation totals, top 10 number of pledges, and sections with 100% participation. If the whole band reaches 100% participation, the whole band will have a water balloon battle after their performance at the Shaved Ice Showdown.
Pledge and sponsorship forms as well as the route map can be found here: jetband.org/marchathon
TAYLOR HOMECOMING IS SEPTEMBER 20 SO ORDER EARLY!
Sales start August 16th. Get 10% off when order is placed by August 27th!!
JET Band will be kicking off its Mum & Garter Sale on Friday, August 16th. This year we have new specialty backers and several new trinkets to choose from. All of these are on display in our mum cart which will be on display in both the Main Commons and 9th Grade Commons during lunch on a rotating basis. Come by to get more information, pick up an order form, and/or place your order! Completed order forms can be turned in WITH PAYMENT during lunch at the mum display or placed in the box marked “MUM ORDERS” in the front office.
The Online Image Gallery where you can view pictures of all the options is being updated and will be available soon.
For those new to Homecoming Mums & Garters, follow the link for more information: What in the World are Mums?
Questions? Email email@example.com
Find the following opportunities in the Helper Helper app. If you have signed up for a volunteer team, you will find additional opportunities in the app specifically for your team.
- March-A-Thon – Several different volunteer opportunities are available, ranging from chaperones and security to JET Fuel (lunch servers). If you will be a chaperone or security, please also sign up for the training session on August 15th!
- Football Game Chaperones – Spots are available for each game this season, but they fill up quickly.
- JET Fuel – Set up and serve game day meals to students.
- Mums – Lots of opportunities are available to help get us ready for custom mum sales, from home work to helping in the workshop on campus. Workdays are announced on the Facebook group regularly. Sales shifts start on August 16th.
Order JET Band Shirts
We now have new spirit wear options available through two new online shops. Items in these shops will be shipped directly to you rather than being ordered as part of a group. These shops will be available throughout the year and 5% of each sale will go to the JET Band Student Assistance Fund to help provide for those students who may have a need for help with meeting the expense of participating in band and guard. Generous alumni parents have offered matching funds for donations to the JET Band Assistance Fund. If you’d like to help, you can donate in any amount by check made out to JET Band Boosters, in an envelope labeled “JET Band Assistance Fund”, dropped into the band safe.
Gold Out on September 5th at the Berry Center
If you are planning to attend the September 5th football game at the Berry Center, please consider buying a tee shirt to help Gold Out the event to raise money to fight Pediatric Cancer. We will collect order forms in the band safe with money attached and deliver them as a group order. Please turn in forms by Friday, August 23rd so that we have time to get them turned in before the deadline. Click here for more information and here for the order form.
- August 15 – March-A-Thon Volunteer Training, 7pm
- August 16 – Homecoming Mum & Garter sales start
- August 17 – March-A-Thon 2019! ⭐️
- August 21 – Town Pep Rally, 6pm (Gear delivery in main commons after the pep rally)
- August 23 – Shaved Ice Showdown, 5pm
- August 30 – First football game @ Legacy vs. Atascocita
Click here to join the JET Band Booster Facebook page and to stay on top of all current and upcoming events.
JET Band Booster Organization