Message from Michael Ary, Director of Bands
Now that we are outside and moving in this wonderful Texas heat, it is crucial that your student monitors their nutrition and hydration. Every student must eat breakfast before they get here in the morning. A waffle with peanut butter and banana is a great quick, easy, nutritious breakfast on the go. A protein bar and some fruit is even easier. Your student needs good carbs and proteins to endure through these rehearsals. Your student needs to drink several glasses of water before they even arrive here. When we take our first water break after the morning stretch is too late to begin hydrating for the day. Please help us educate your student on proper nutrition and hydration so they can optimize their performance. If you need further tips @JETaylorHS_AT has tweeted out some great information for our THS student athletes, and fueling.college.athletes on Instagram is useful.
Your student will probably be sore this week, unless they are just in phenomenal shape. I know that we are still in summer and they want to take full advantage of that, but their bodies need plenty of rest to recover. Please make sure your student is getting adequate sleep. If they’ll stretch before they go down for the night, their bodies will feel better in the morning, too.
Please make sure you continue to monitor our Charms calendar for the rehearsal and performance schedules. Some items to note…
- This Saturday morning we have rehearsal from 7-11am.
- Saturday afternoon we are hosting a Houston-area Leadership Workshop by the renowned Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser. This workshop is mandatory for our student leaders and highly suggested for any of our students that are interested in a future leadership position.
- Next Monday, August 5th we have the Freshmen Fish Camp Pep Rally from 8am-9am. Freshmen will attend the Camp for the duration of the morning with their non-band peers while the 10th-12th grade band students will play during the Pep Rally portion. At 3:30 that afternoon we will have a workshop for ALL band students with Scott Lang from 3:30-5:30ish. Once we are done with the workshop we’ll give the students some time to eat dinner before we head outside for rehearsal.
- Tuesday-Friday next week we rehearse 4-9pm.
- Saturday the 10th we rehearse 7-11am
- Monday the 12th we rehearse 4-9pm
- Tuesday the 13th we rehearse 7-11am
- Once school starts we are going to rehearse 3:30-6:15 through the end of the month. This year UIL changed the 8 hour rule for those of us starting school early. The UIL 8 hour rule doesn’t start until after Labor Day for us.
- Wednesday September 21 is the THS Town Pep Rally. Times for that TBD
- Friday September 23 is our “Shaved Ice Showdown” Family Social. This performance and social used to be our Burger Bash and then became our Food Truck Fest and this year it’s Shaved Ice.
Director of Bands
Message from Shakira Luna, Band Booster President
Thank you to everyone who took the time to come out to our parent meeting last week! Please take a moment and mark your calendar for our first general booster meeting of the year, which will take place on Tuesday, August 6that 7pm. Unless there is some conflict, our booster meetings are the first Tuesday of each month at 7pm.
Hopefully, you have decided as a family which night you will attend of Money Day – July 31stor August 1st, 5-9pm. We would like to request that freshman try to come earlier in the evening as that process will take longer due to the need to size all their gear. Please take the time now and have your student pull out any gear that they may already have and check it for signs of wear and proper fit. If it can be used again, bring it to Money Day to be checked off. If it is not present, you will order whatever is needed. Orders must be paid for that night. Cash, checks, and credit cards will be accepted.
Sample gear forms for planning purposes can be downloaded here for band and for color guard members. Samples will be available to try on for sizing. Forms for students with special dietary needs for game day and contest meals will be available to turn in at that time as well. We will have water bottles, clear stadium bags, and sunglasses for sale, as well as taking orders for parent shirts, spirit tees, hats and yearbooks.
Please consider volunteering on one of the Money Day evenings. Visit the Helper Helper app to see opportunities for gear checkers/sizers, cashiers, and data entry. The more volunteers we have, the quicker the process will be for everyone!
If you have a special circumstance which will prevent you from purchasing needed gear this week, please contact Mr. Ary at email@example.com. Assistance is available to ensure that all students are able to participate.
We still have a few committee chair/coordinator positions available for anyone who would like to step up to a greater level of involvement. Click here to see the full 2019-20 JET Band Booster Board. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or have questions!
- Project Popsicles
- Garage Sale
- Grocery Rebates
- Student Fundraising
- Yard Signs
Spirit Items from Squad Locker
We now have new spirit wear options available through two new online shops. Items in these shops will be shipped directly to you rather than being ordered as part of a group. These shops will be available throughout the year and 5% of each sale will go to the JET Band Student Assistance Fund to help provide for those students who may have a need for help with meeting the expense of participating in band and guard. Generous alumni parents have offered matching funds for donations to the JET Band Assistance Fund. If you’d like to help, you can make a donation in any amount directly on your gear form.
Band Activity Fee
Band Activity Fee payments are now being collected. Following the payment schedule, there are two ways to pay over the summer:
1. Take cash/check to the front office (there is a collection box at the front desk) when it is open, and place in the collection box OR mail to:
JET Band Boosters
20700 Kingsland Blvd
Katy, TX 77450
2. Access your Charms account to pay via credit card. Go to www.jetband.org, click ‘Charms’ option;
- The user code will already be entered, then ‘Enter Charms’ to put in your password. The password will be your child’s ID unless you/your child personally changed the password on the account. Password resets will not be available until August.
- Click the red $ icon at top or the Wallet Icon on the bottom. Your Child’s Misc Financial Ledger will be visible
- Scroll down and there will be an option to “Make a Misc. Payment”.
Credit card charges will show as a credit in your ledger until the Activity Fee is officially billed in July/August on your child Charms account. You will not need to make a Transfer Request for Activity Fee. Transfer Money Requests can be used for any credits after Activity Fee is paid in full for any other band fees/purchases.
If you haven’t begun making payments, don’t worry. You can pay in full at any time before October 1stor catch up to the payment plan now. We ask that all students begin to make payments toward the activity fee as soon as possible so that funds are available for current expenses.
Please email Treasurer@jetband.org with any questions.
We have reached over 220 registered volunteers on Helper Helper! Those of you who have registered are ready to sign up for any of the many volunteer opportunities that support the JET Band. Thank you for support and for your patience as we all learn this new system!
Haven’t registered yet?
We need each student and each parent to submit a separate registration form with a unique email addressso that each person has their own access to Helper Helper and we can track volunteer hours individually. Since the email that you list will be your username, each person must use a different email address.
To get started, we need each student and parent to click here to register. The link is easy to access and remember: tiny.cc/helpjetband
Should take just a few minutes. Please send any questions to Angie Steinhauer at email@example.com.
Once you have completed your registration form, you should receive your email with directions to download the Helper Helper app within 2-3 days. That email will contain a temporary password that you will use to log in the first time.
Find the following opportunities in the Helper Helper app. If you have signed up for a volunteer team, you will find additional opportunities in the app specifically for your team.
FACULTY BREAKFAST. Several opportunities to help welcome THS faculty back to school with this JET Band-sponsored event: cook hot casseroles or side dishes, help make favors, donate food, donate drinks, or donate cash so that we can buy food and drinks.
MARCH-A-THON. Several different volunteer opportunities ranging from chaperones and security to JET Fuel (lunch servers). If you will be a chaperone or security, please also sign up for the training session on August 15th!
FOOTBALL GAME CHAPERONES. Spots are available for each game this season, but they fill up quickly.
JET FUEL. Set up and serve game day meals to students.
MUMS. Lots of opportunities to help get us ready for custom mum sales, from home work to helping in the workshop on campus.
MONEY DAYS. In order for Money Day to proceed efficiently, we will need volunteers to help students check off and size gear, cashiers to review forms and complete orders, and data entry helpers to enter the information from forms into an electronic format for processing. Pick the day that you will come with your own student and consider volunteering the other day.
Volunteers are needed in helping with prep work, filling orders, and the actual making of mums and garters. If you are interested in helping with mums, make sure that you have completed the registration form for Helper Helper and have selected Mum Prep Work and/or Mum Making as one of your areas of interest, so that you will be sure to get the notices.
No experience is required. There are always experienced volunteers in the mum room along with instructions and guidelines to help you. However, if you are new at mum making, please come to some of the prep work days to start learning the process. Once mum sales are well underway, our time to teach the process becomes very limited.
Volunteers are also needed to help with sales during lunch periods. This requires no crafting knowledge and only takes a few hours of your time. You will help students with the forms, answer questions and taking payments. We will go over the form with you and give you everything you need! Please select “Mum Sales” on the Helper Helper app if you are interested in helping with mum sales and contact Kristin Abel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding sales.
If you are unable to help during the day, several different types of “homework” are available. These tasks vary from simply cutting and measuring ribbon to gluing and assembling various pieces. Please stop by the mum table at Money Day and pick up a homework bag. Please have all homework turned in by Monday, August 5th. You can drop it off in the Main Office on the shelf labeled miscellaneous under the lunch drop off shelf.
The success of this fundraiser depends on our number of volunteers. The more volunteers we have, the more mums and garters we can make!
Questions: Contact Jennifer Angel or Liz Laconis or email email@example.com
Used Band Gear Donation Box & Classifieds
We are in need of restocking our used band gear. The donation box is in band hall. This includes performance shirts, shorts, gloves, socks, shoes, hoodies, garment bags, duffle bags, water jugs, ponchos, t-shirts, flip folders, lyres, tuners, etc. If you are in need of band gear, please email David & Christy Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also check out the Classifieds section of our website to buy, sell, borrow or lend musical instruments and gear.
MarchAThon is a huge community event and our largest, most fun fundraiser of the year. Our goal this year is to reach $28,000. To reach that goal, students are encouraged to help raise $50 each in pledges or sponsorships. There are a variety of options to choose from to get this done:
- Individual Pledges – Students may use the Individual Pledge Form to record donations in any amount from friends and family with the goal of total donations surpassing $50.
- Individual Concert Sponsorships – Students may sell a concert/performance package for the band or color guard which includes a performance along the March-A-Thon route
- Corporate Sponsorships – Students or parents may reach out to businesses or corporations that may sponsor the JET Band and receive special recognition which varies based on the level of sponsorship
- Water Bottle Sales– Students may choose to purchase 10 water bottles and sell them for $10 each. If this option is chosen, the set of 10 water bottles may be purchased at Money Day for $100. Each student choosing this option will receive credit for $50 in donations.
- Online Donations – Share the link jetband.org/donate far and wide on social media! Donors should specify the name of the student that they are supporting in the comments section so that the student receives credit for that donation toward their $50 requirement.
Students will be awarded prizes based on top 10 donation totals, top 10 number of pledges, and sections with 100% participation. If the whole band reaches 100% participation, there will be a special reward for the whole band!
Keep checking jetband.org/marchathon for more details and updates.
- July 31/August 1 – Money Day, 5pm-9pm each night
- August 3 – Dr. Tim Leadership Workshop (11:30 check-in)
- August 6 – General Booster Meeting, 7pm
- August 7 – Spirit Night at Cane’s
- August 15 – March-A-Thon Volunteer Training, 7pm
- August 17 – March-A-Thon 2019!
- August 21 – Town Pep Rally, 6pm
- Gear delivery in main commons after the pep rally
- August 23 – Shaved Ice Showdown, 5pm
- August 30 – First football game @ Legacy vs. Atascocita
- Click here to join the JET Band Booster Facebook page and to stay on top of all current and upcoming events.
- Click here to keep following the Taylor Band public Facebook page!
JET Band Booster Organization