Message from Mike Ary, Director of Bands
The draft football schedule has been shared with me and while I can’t share that with you at this time, I do want to share some dates with everyone so we know what weekends are booked with marching contests and when our students can and can’t take their SAT and ACT tests in the fall. If you haven’t already looked, we are updating the Charms calendar as we get more information.
Dates to note:
- July 23 – First day of summer band rehearsals
- August 14 – First day of school
- August 24 – SAT testing date (Students needing to take the SAT should take this one.)
- August 30 – It looks like we will have a Friday night football game. So if you are planning Labor Day weekend travel, you’ll need to leave after the game Friday or Saturday morning.
- September 14 – ACT testing date (Students needing to take the ACT should take this one.)
- September 28 – Friendswood Marching Contest
- October 5 – BOA Katy Marching Contest
- October 5 – SAT testing date (do NOT sign up for this test, take the August 24 and/or November 2)
- October 12 – Katy ISD Marching Contest
- October 25/26 – BOA San Antonio Marching Contest
- October 26 – ACT testing date (do NOT sign up for this test, take the September 14 or December 14)
- November 2 – SAT testing date (Students needing to take the SAT should take this one.)
Our pre-UIL Concert is this Thursday, March 28th. The Cadet Band will perform at 7pm, the Concert Band around 7:20, the Symphonic around 7:45, and the Wind Ensemble around 8:15. Please come out and hear what our students have been working on this semester.
SENIOR PICTURES for the Band Banquet program will be taken in the band hall prior to the concert this Thursday between 6 & 7 pm. This includes Color Guard seniors. Be in your Concert / Winter Guard Uniform.
Director of Bands
James E. Taylor High School
Message from Thomas Wooldridge, Winter Guard Director
Congratulations to our Cadets, Junior Varsity, and Varsity on a successful and amazing winterguard season! At Area Championships this past weekend the Cadets finished in 7thplace, the Junior Varsity finished in 5thplace in Scholastic Regional A, and the Varsity finished in 6thplace in National A and were less than a point from making State Finals. The staff and I would like to thank everyone that was there to support the students this season.
Special thanks to our parent volunteers this season:
- Luke and Laura Bolding
- Shakira Luna
- Leslie and Gene Britton
- Courtney Barrett
- Martha Walters
- Christy and David Bailey
- Kelly and Tracy Stroud
- Roxanne Looper
Thank you for all for love and support!
Colorguard Clinic and Auditions
The Colorguard will be having Clinics and Auditions coming up for the 2019-2020 Marching Band season! Come join us and be a part of the award-winning James E. Taylor High School Colorguard. Click here for more information.
- April: 9, 11, 16, and 18
- Time: 4:30-7:00pm
- Where: JET Main Commons
- April: 22-26
- Time: 4:30-7:00pm
- Where: JET Main Commons
** No experience needed
** Open to ALL 8th-11th Graders that will be attending THS
Also, come join us March 25th at Chipotle on Fry Rd. between 5-9pm and support the JET Colorguard program. Don’t forget to mention the JET Colorguard at check out!
Message from Spencer Bennett, Band Booster President
It’s hard to believe we have around two months left of the school year! Wow time has flown!
Please mark your calendar for what we still have scheduled below:
Important Dates to remember
- March 25th – Spirit Night at Chipotle
- March 28th – Pre-UIL Band Concert, 7pm in the PAC
- March 30th – Crustacean Ball (Crustacean Ball tickets)
- April 2nd-3rd – UIL Music Region 23 Junior High Competition
- April 2nd – Parent Band practice, Band Hall 7-8pm
- April 6th – Indoor Percussion State Championships @ A&M Reed Arena
- April 6th – Garage Sale in the Band Hall, 8am-2pm
- Sign up here: Garage Sale Volunteer form
- April 8th – Spirit Night at Jimmy Changa’s
- April 9th – Parent Band practice , Band Hall 6-7pm
- April 9th – General Booster Meeting, Band Hall 7pm
- April 16th – Parent Band practice, Band Hall 6-7pm
- April 23rd – Parent Band practice, Band Hall 6-7pm
- April 30th – Parent Band practice, Band Hall 6-7pm
- May 6th – Spirit Night at Jimmy Changa’s
- May 7th – Parent Band practice, Band Hall 6-7pm
- May 7th – General Booster Meeting, Band Hall 7pm
- May 10th – Band Banquet at Legacy Stadium – more info to come soon
Volunteers needed for the Junior High UIL Event
Our next big event for volunteers will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 2nd and 3rdrespectively. Taylor HS hosts the Region UIL non-varsity Jr. High Concert/Sight Reading contest. This is a two day event and requires parent and student support on both days from 8:00am – 5:00pm. Please click on the Sign Up Genius link that follows to offer your time. These are not difficult positions to man but they require our attention!
Sign up here: Volunteer Sign-Up
Parent Band Concert!
Parents, our first practice is April 2nd from 7-8pm in the Band Hall. There is still time for you to be a member of the very first JET Parent Band! Email me to join at President@jetband.org.
Order your yearbook today! Click here to download the Yearbook Order Form. Or click here to purchase your yearbook copy online. Deadline to order is April 1st. First distribution of the Yearbooks will be available at the Band Banquet.
Last call to submit your child’s Junior High band picture and Senior photo for the yearbook! Deadline is this Thursday, March 28th!!
Email pictures or ask questions to Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Band and Color Guard Yearbook Deadline is April 1st to pre-order! There will only be a limited amount of extras ordered so reserve yours today. You will not be disappointed!! Any questions, email email@example.com.
The Crustacean Ball is March 30th from 7-9 pm. If you would like to help with soliciting dessert donations contact Elizabeth Bucher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the link for the flyer and ticket sales Crustacean Ball tickets.
Yoga classes offered at Francesca’s Garden, which is on the south end of Rick Rice at 700 Mason Creek Trail, across from the Mann Eye center building. This All-Levels Yoga Class will be offered every Wednesday at 9:00am, starting on March 20. All levels are welcome, no experience needed. Participants should be able to get up and down from the ground unassisted.
Classes cost $5. ALL of the proceeds are going to the JET Band! Please help spread the word! Follow Janaki Yoga on facebook for class information. www.facebook.com/yoginijeannie
Don’t forget to continue to track your volunteer hours! Please forward all hours to Heidi email@example.com.
Band Shirts still available for purchase
Please follow the link on what shirts and sizes are available from state and past marching seasons. First come, first serve. Click here for a list of the available items and prices.
Let me know if anyone has any questions. Email me at President@jetband.org.
JET Band Booster Organization