Message from Mike Ary (Director of Bands)
Schedule this week:
- Monday 3:30-6:00 rehearsal
- Tuesday UIL UIL Region Itinerary
- Wednesday 3:30-6:00 rehearsal
- Thursday football game vs. Tompkins (Tompkins Itinerary)
- Friday 3:30-6:15 rehearsal
Saturday UIL Area – schedule for the day to be released on Wednesday after we find out our performance times.
Next week we’ll have rehearsals on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday we leave for San Antonio after lunches and will perform at 9:00pm in the Alamo Dome. Full itinerary for Nov 2-3 will be released next week.
Message from Spencer Bennett (Booster Club President)
Homecoming weekend started off a bit soggy, but ended brightly with our very own King and Queen, Zach and Tanisa! Congratulations to you both!
It’s pedal to the metal this week beginning with Region on Tuesday.
Please, please, please we need adult help with concessions at Region on Tuesday and Area on Saturday. More information below.
- October 23rd – UIL Region Marching Contest – need concession volunteers (UIL Region Sign-up Genius), (UIL Region Itinerary)
- October 25th – Football game vs Tompkins (Tompkins Itinerary)
- October 27th – UIL Area Marching Contest – need concession volunteers (UIL Area Sign-up Genius)
- October 31st – “Trunk or Treat” after practice by the practice field
- November 1st – Project Grad Donation deadline (see info below)
- November 2nd – BOA San Antonio!
- November 8th – Football game vs Katy – Senior Night
- November 11th – Garage Sale Drop-off
- November 14th – Spirit Night at Menchies (Menchies Spirit Night)
Senior Night Mum orders
- Mini Mum Orders for Senior Night are due by Friday, 26th to the band safe (for parents of Seniors only). Each mum is $25. We also have shirt/hair clips for $10. Follow link for details, https://jetband.org/2018files/OrderForm_SeniorMiniMum.pdf. All Senior Moms are ordering so don’t be that Mom that didn’t get one!
Homecoming Mum Season is over!
Cindi Adams and Sharon Mitchell would like to individually thank the ladies that took the time to help with over 160 mum orders. This small troop helped the band earn $10,000 net profit for a successful season.
This was a major undertaking and we appreciate all the time these ladies gave to make it happen!
- Mum Makers: Christy Gonzales, Liz Laconis, Martha Walters, Tilly Malario, Carla Unkefer, Nancy Johnson, Melanie Jenson (and mom), Michelle Corbin, Tammy Shurn (non-band parent) & Chris Graeter (non-band parent)
- Bear Makers: Holly Estes (all our beautiful bears) and Josie Hungerford (band bears)
- Filling Orders: Jennifer Angel, Lorna Blount & Kristen Cossette
- Sales & Distribution: Ann Wigger, Kristen Abel, Liancha Tang, Becky Kusko (alumnus)
- Prep Work: Anyone who took homework home, thank you! Special thanks to Leslie Britton and her Work-Based Learning Class. They were invaluable in doing a lot of very important prep work this past spring.
- Dapper Dan’s Dry Cleaning: They donated garment bags when we were in a huge bind!
Besides our wonderful parents taking photos found on our website, there are professional photographers on the field that take pictures during the varsity football games. While they take a lot of football player pictures, they also take pictures of the band, pacesetters, color guard, etc.
Please share with your families.
- Michelle Keverline https://shotsbyshell.smugmug.com/2018-Taylor-High-School-Football
- Laura Chiles https://laurachilesphotographer.shootproof.com/gallery/2018-19THSFOOTBALL/
UIL Region and Area Marching Band Concession Stands
On October 23 and 27th, the UIL Region and Area Marching Contests will be held at Legacy Stadium. The Taylor HS band is in charge of concessions for both events and will need non-band students and any adults for the day and evening. Both parent and student volunteers (NHS, FFA, Mustangs Volunteering Proudly, those in need of church or charity league hours, etc.) are asked to sign up for a time slot. Adults volunteering will be handling money and concession prep. The kids will be fetching food for customers, and helping with set up and clean up. All can stay and watch the shows, before and after their shift.
Please sign up for multiple shifts if you can! It will be really helpful to have trained workers on hand from one shift to the next, and from one event to the next. Feel free to pass along the signup links to your friends who may have students in need of volunteer hours.
Our band will benefit greatly from the proceeds of this event, so please help out if you can. Thanks in advance for your support!
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- Tuesday, October 23, 2018 UIL Region Sign-up Genius
- Saturday, October 27, 2018 UIL Area Sign-up Genius
Large Coolers Needed
We need large coolers to be borrowed for the concession stands on October 23 and 27. If you have a large cooler that you can lend to the JET Band for the week of the 22 through the weekend of the 27, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can help, please drop the coolers off at the band hall (labeled with your name and phone number) on the 22at the end of band practice. We will use your email to plan how many coolers we can expect. Coolers will be available to be picked up again on Tuesday, October 30 after practice at the latest. If you are helping with concessions on Saturday, October 27, you can take your cooler home with you at the end of the night.
Project Grad Donations
THS Project Graduation organizes a safe, alcohol and drug free celebration after the graduation ceremony open to all Taylor High School Class of 2019 graduates. The JET band has been asked to donate a gift basket and a wreath for auction to raise funds for the event. As one of the largest organizations on campus, this is a great opportunity to support our seniors! Gift cards or cash can be left in the band safe clearly labeled “Project Grad Donation” by Thursday, November 1. If you would like to help with the creation of either the basket or the wreath, please email Shakira Luna at email@example.com.
Trunk or Treat
Mark your calendars – We are having a “Trunk or Treat” for our band kids on Halloween (October 31st). We will set up at 5:45 near the practice lot. Come in costume and bring candy to pass out! When they are dismissed at 6pm they will be able to “Trunk or Treat”. Don’t worry if you can’t come and want to help, contact Amy Fowler at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a candy donation.
This new holiday event will be scheduled for December 15th from 2-4:15pm. We plan to have a holiday theme with marching through Green Trails subdivision and ending at the park with the band playing a few holiday songs, hot chocolate, candy canes, etc. While marching on the short route, concerts can be purchased and the band will stop and play a holiday song. We are thinking about having a “Ugly Holiday Sweater Contest”! If you would like to help with this event, please email Kristen at email@example.com.
Thank you everyone for what YOU do! It is so humbling to be a part of such a great booster organization! Please reach out to me for any questions at President@jetband.org.
JET Band Booster Organization